The School of Social Sciences is currently seeking applications for the Visiting Scholar from the Global South Fellowship (VSGSF). The VSGSF will fund a full time faculty member from a university in the Global South to participate in the academic life of the university for a period of six months.
The scholar will make contributions to teaching in the areas of their expertise, enhancing the learning experience of undergraduate and postgraduate students. The scholar will join a vibrant research environment, presenting research papers and meeting with academics sharing common research interests.
It is expected that the relationship developed during the term of the fellowship will continue after the scholar returns to their home university, paving the way for future cooperation in initiatives such as international learning experiences and internships valued by UNSW students.
For the purposes of the fellowship, we identify institutions belonging to the Global South as characterized by a lack of resources that would enable their academic staff to engage in international exchanges. Visiting scholars are expected to be continuing employees (tenured) in their home institution, taking leave (such as sabbatical leave) during the duration of the fellowship. The fellowship will provide:
· Return travel (ground transfers and airfares)
· Health insurance
· A daily stipend of AUD $124.00
The first VSGSF will join UNSW for the six month period between 1 July and 20 Dec 2017
To be eligible to apply for the fellowship you will:
· Be an established scholar employed by a university in the ‘Global South’
· Have a track record of high quality research outputs and/or evidence of research leading to social or policy impact
· Have 3+ years of experience teaching at either the undergraduate and/or postgraduate level
· Have experience successfully mentoring and supervising research students
· Be proficient in both written and spoken English
· Have a PhD in a relevant discipline
Applications close: 31 January 2017. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a Skype interview with the successful candidate notified February 28.
To Apply please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
· A cover letter
· Curriculum Vitae / Resume
· A proposal (1-3 pages) outlining your plans during the fellowship in the areas of research and teaching
· A statement systematically addressing the selection criteria available at the below link
· A letter of support from Department Head or Faculty Dean supporting your application and confirming that you can take leave for the period specified.
· A brief statement outlining why you qualify as a scholar from the ‘Global South’. For the purposes of the application, we identify institutions belonging to the Global South as characterized by a lack of resources to engage in international exchanges.
Further information about the Fellowship, can be found here: https://socialsciences.arts.unsw.edu.au/research/research-initiatives/
For detailed information about the School of Social Sciences go to https://socialsciences.arts.unsw.edu.au Here you will find more information about the School’s areas of research and the details of our teaching programs that you may consider contributing to while undertaking your fellowship.
Enquiries about the fellowship can be directed to Dr Tanya Jakimow, Senior Lecturer Development Studies, SOSS, Email: email@example.com.