Title: Senior Communication/PI Officer, NOD
Work location: UNHCR Canada, Ottawa
The Representation of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Canada is seeking a full-time Senior Communication/Public Information Officer for a one year (renewable) contract for its Ottawa Office. This position will report directly to the Country Representative and supervises a team of communication specialists, while working closely with a large team of protection and private sector fundraising experts throughout Canada.
The incumbent supports the UNHCR Office in media relations, campaigns and advocacy work in relation to refugee issues, both within Canada and worldwide. External contacts are generally with a broad range of officials, including government, international and educational institutions, civil society organizations, media -including social media, donors and/or the general public.
Minimum Academic Qualification:
– Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Communications, Political Science or similar relevant field.
Language Requirements: Fluent spoken and written French and English. Knowledge of Spanish is an important asset.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years (12 years with University degree) of relevant job experience at professional level in progressively responsible functions related to UNHCR, other humanitarian agencies and/or government departments.
- Previous experience in an international capacity of a similar functional area is an asset.
- Excellent communication, written and presentation abilities, with strong managerial, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Technical knowledge in graphic communication and website content an asset
- General understanding of the UN/UNHCR priority agenda.
- Past experience in campaigning and outreach to various audiences, including the general public, highly desirable
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement communications, outreach/campaigns and advocacy strategies, in support of UNHCR Canada’s objectives and in line with UNHCR’s global priorities;
- Lead messaging development, working closely with the Representative and other senior staff, as well as the private sector fundraising team (individual and leadership giving);
- Act as a spokesperson for UNHCR, lead UNHCR Canada’s media and social media relations operations, organizing press events, handling interviews requests, and providing responses to requests from media relating to UNHCR and its work in Canada and globally;
- Research, prepare, fact-check, edit, and produce professional media and communications materials including press releases, campaign materials and advocacy briefings, ensuring accuracy of and quality control over editorial content produced by the Canada office, and ensure their timely dissemination via UNHCR’s communications channels;
- Monitor media coverage of UNHCR operations and make recommendations for response when necessary;
- Identify and target major events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR.
- Liaise closely with Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) Canada for the implementation of the joint UNHCR Canada strategy PI-PSP;
- Actively maintain media relations for UNHCR, ensuring that media (and other important external stakeholders, such as governments, embassies, NGOs etc.) are briefed regularly on issues of importance to UNHCR, and have access to information and UNHCR expertise.
- Undertake missions and field trips with media and other official visitors in support of UNHCR and its work;
- Manage and oversee communications budgets and expenditures;
- Perform other duties as required
Competitive salary offered in accordance with established UN Salary Scales for Canada (available at http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/gs.htm).
Receipt of applications will not be acknowledged and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. Interested candidates must be Canadian citizens and should fill out a UN Personnel History (P11) Form (available at http://www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc) and send it along with a letter of interest by email, fax or email at: UNHCR CANADA, Vacancy Notice, 280 Albert Street, Suite 401, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G8. Fax: 613-230-1855 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be received with a covering letter by 12 noon, Wednesday, February 15, 2017.
Please no phone calls.