Anita Casavantes Bradford, Laura E. Enriquez and Susan Bibler Coutin offer advice to faculty members and administrators.
- Be aware of the wide ran ge of people affected by proposed changes to immigration policy.
- Educate yourself about the laws and policies that impact undocumented students’ educational access.
- Signal to students that you are supportive.
- (Re)consider how you discuss immigration-related issues and the current political climate in your classroom.
- Maintain student confidentiality and privacy.
- Use appropriate terminology when discussing immigration issues.
- Provide resources that will help mediate the financial instability that many students will also be facing.
- Offer career and graduate preparation opportunities.
- Identify, improve and refer students to campus and community resources.
- Identify and raise awareness about your campus’s policies regarding undocumented students.